Air Purifying Respirator Use
The OSHA respirator standard applies to all occupational airborne exposures to contaminated air where the employee is:
- Exposed to a hazardous level of an airborne contaminant; or,
- Required by the employer to wear respirators; or Permitted to wear respirators by the employer
Types of Respirators:
- Capture particles in the air, such as dusts, mists, and fumes.
- Do not protect against gases or vapors.
- Are normally used in atmospheres that contain hazards of both particulates and gases.
- Have both particulate filters and gas/vapor filters.
Gas & Vapor Respirators
- Are normally used when there are only hazardous gases and vapors in the air.
- Use chemical filters (called cartridges or canisters) to remove dangerous gases or vapors.
- Do not protect against airborne particles.
- Are made to protect against specific gases or vapors.
◦Training on Hazards
◦Fit Testing to specific respirator
◦Cleaning and Maintenance
◦Only allowed when the contaminate has not reached an action level.
◦Typically worn for comfort of user.
◦Signed Waiver explaining hazards and cleaning protocols App. D